Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Post Election Highs and Lows



I think this post-election is a bit different than those past because social media is now such a daily (sometimes hourly) ritual in most everyone's life.  I posted a couple of cute-sy/fun type "four more years" celebration memes on my Facebook and was immediately "un-friended" by someone I never really knew anyway. My news feed had a few very hateful comments about this being the era of the anit-Christ and yadayadayada.

For the most part I refrained from discussing anything in depth but I did make one comment about acceptance and moving on and someone (not a friend of mine, a friend of a friend) hit me with this: "I will stand up for my beliefs and will not conform to the worldly ways. As it talks about in James, evil does not come from God, so I do not believe that it is Gods will for Obama to get re-elected, we have free will and will have to live with the consequence".

Okaaaay... well, I really could have come back with this: "There is a Bible verse (Romans 13: 1-2) that says, 'There is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.' Or to put it in another way, what will be will be. So in a way (depending on one's spiritual beliefs) we are commanded to respect our leaders whether or not we chose them.  I REALLY wanted to get that little jab in there (because while I have no seminary degree or anything I consider myself partly Christian, have spent years studying the Bible, and do know it at least as well as any Evangelical).  But I just dropped it and let it go.  It's just not worth it.

I've said before I didn't vote for Obama the last time.  He didn't really impress me at first as being someone who could fix the mess we were in.  Actually, for the first time since being a "politically aware" adult I didn't vote at all in 2008, but then again I was going through quite a bit of personal shifts right during that election era (a divorce, a move, an unexpected pregnancy).  But through the years Obama has grown on me.  So needless to say the results of Tuesday night elections left a smile on my face and a hope in my heart that I carried with me on Wednesday.  But I live in the great state of Texas (and I do love my state) but it is, and always will be, a very RED state.  So yesterday when I was out or at work what I saw and felt everywhere was a huge shift in energy in that most everyone was walking around with long faces and speaking in subdued tones or grunts.  I got a glimpse of what I felt like and how I must have looked to others after the Bush/Gore election of 2000.

4 comments:

  1. That's a great cartoon -- it says it all! I can understand why Donald Trump would vote for Romney -- but anyone else? It would be like shooting yourself in the foot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! The funny thing is I am as blue collar of a worker as you can get. I mean... I LITERALLY wear a blue collar. Most of my co-workers are diehard Republicans. To each is his own and all that, but I don't even understand what would compel the lower working class to vote Republican but the majority of Republicans I know are just that.

      Delete
  2. My husband walked into his job yesterday knowing after months of debating with his coworkers they would not be smiling..I told him like he was a 5 yr old..(59yrs) to play nice...Only one co-worker had the balls to approach him and say congratulations..the rest of the crew hid like bitches on the school yard with there heads BETWEEN THERE LEGS....Oh by the way Hubby works in INDIANA who went totally red...which makes no sense since Obama saved the RV Industry ...just shows that indeed the water & food are ROTTEN in INDIANA...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not looking forward to working again with my direct supervisor. She actually told me (in the one very small political discussion that we had) that anyone who voted for Obama might have questionable morals and that I was the *only one she'd spoken to who was*. Really? The only one? He won the election and popular vote too. I realize I live in Texas and all, an yes, of course there were a lot of Romney supporters, but you'd be surprised how many Obama ones there were too.

      Delete