Pages

Friday, June 8, 2012

Cultivate Grace

Color of the day: White
Incense of the day:  Orchid
Friday is the traditional day of Venus/Aphrodite, goddess of love, beauty, and fertility. Venus's/Aphrodite's energies include charm, composure, courtesy, and joy. In Latin, the noun venus is also linked to venerari (to honor or try to please) and venia (grace or favor).
I recently read one of the best books ever on select Greek Goddesses: Conversations With the Goddesses.  I had always before believed that Venus/Aphrodite was one of the Goddesses I couldn't relate to or draw much wisdom from.  I was incorrect.  Not only does this Goddess embody passion, self-assurance, and charisma (all qualities I struggle to maintain in my own day to day life), but she also possesses radiance and grace.  From Conversations With the Goddesses:
"One of the most famous Aphrodite/Venus archetypes is Cleopatra, the powerful queen of Egypt.  Legends of her beauty are often disputed.  Some claim that her seductiveness lay not in her beauty but in her presence-her beguiling voice, her vivacity, her intelligence.  Her irresistible charm was enhanced by beautiful clothes, cosmetics, perfume, and jewels.  She was intoxicated by living."

Since today is Friday it is a great day to work a bit of  powerful social magic, channeling Venus/Aphrodite to create positive change.  This is a very simple spell that involves no tools but simply attempting to reprogram your thoughts to be a bit more peaceful and to consciously practice social grace and honor. When speaking to people, cultivate a deep sense of affection for them and express it through the tone of your voice. When listening, look deep into their eyes, and into their souls, really seeing and hearing them. Do not hold an agenda, but honor people by simply listening. Show them the courtesy of your undivided interest. Practice grace by acting, looking, and speaking in a gentle and kind manner, letting go of judgment. And because Friday is a day for relating and building relationships, your grace may invite Venus's/Aphrodite's blessings of love.
One way I attempt to do this at times is to envision that I've sort of "time warped" into this time in my life from another.  About 15 years ago I thought there was no real possibility that I'd ever be a mother, and I would have given just about anything for it to become a possibility.  So if that person I was back then were to be suddenly time warped here she'd be appalled to hear the now-me yelling at her children.  About 5 years ago I had a co-worker that I really admired and looked up to, a person that I thought I would never have a chance to become a friend to because they had a great work ethic and sense of responsibility (while I was an angry and negative person who was also a bit of a flake with my life falling apart around me).  Not only did this person become a friend; he became my husband.  So the then-me probably wouldn't even begin to understand the now-me complaining that he didn't wipe the counter after doing dishes or that he's clingy and annoying.
Its all a matter of perspective, really.  When I think of things in this way, Venus/Aphrodite's qualities of trying to honor and please and to show grace seem more attainable for me.

3 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at the yelling at the kids thing. It reminds me of the women who have no children telling me (and other mothers) what we're doing wrong and how they would do it better. Then they have children of their own and I serve up a nice big fat juice platter of crow. Children need to be yelled at sometimes, they are told yes entirely too much. Also, they have to learn it somewhere ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was THE biggest preacher on how I would NEVER yell at my kids, as my mother's constant yelling was such a present force that Roseanne Barr had nothing on her! Believe it or not when I had only one child for 4 years I never raised my voice once (didn't yell at the ex husband either, which is a shame 'cause he really deserved it). Then the whole dynamic shifted when I had a second and then 14 months later a third. I have *totally become* my mother, and rest assured my now-husband gets a great big dose of it too. Maybe I should have just had one kid. ;-) But no regrets though as for some reason I wanted several. The truth is yelling is sometimes the only thing that kids respond to.

      Delete