
About two years ago we finally got a Dish Network account. I have never been a big TV watcher and have lived most of my adult life without any cable/satellite just fine. ;-) But my husband has always been spoiled to a multitude of choice in TV Land and so Dish Network became a new presence in my life that now I'd be hard pressed to go without.
Soon after this new addition to our home I got addicted to the old 80s/90s sitcom, Roseanne. I'd seen a few episodes growing up but hadn't really related to it or paid much attention. But in watching it nowadays I immediately connected with the character of Roseanne... three children, the bluest of blue collar, a hard-working husband with an odd sense of humor, not the Hollywood perfect body weight. But something about her (both the character and what I've read on the real Roseanne Barr) makes me feel that she embodies the archetype of Hecate. This is a photo of her from a recent article promoting her a reality series that she did last year.
If Hecate were to appear in a dream, vision, meditation this is exactly how I would expect her to look.
Back in my single days, before my two marriages and three kids when life was much simpler, I was a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan. And to me the character of Buffy Summers was the perfect embodiment of Persephone back in the "Persephone phase" of life for me.
But in this "Demeter" phase in my life I've yet to see a TV Mom that seems to radiate Demeter's energy. The closest I would be able to think of would be Marge Simpson but that may be a bit of a stretch.


I LOVE Roseanne. She is a strong, funny amazing woman. Have you seen her show "Roseanne's Nuts"? It was a reality show put on about 6-9 months ago on some cable channel (O possibly?)
ReplyDeleteI did watch Roseanne's Nuts. It was okay. If I wasn't such a fan of hers I probably wouldn't have cared much about it. It got canceled fairly quickly but she was going to do this other sitcom show called "Downwardly Mobile" that sounded like it would have been good but NBC didn't pick it up.
DeleteI think Roseanne would love to be seen as the embodiment of Hekate! Remember when she was first starting out, she coined the term "Domestic Goddess" as a substitute for "housewife"!
ReplyDeleteMe too... and so many women through the years have recycled the term for themselves (including yours truly).
Delete